Sunday, January 9

From the Beginning...

So I spent Thursday night after work watching LOST, which is one of my favorite past times.  I decided to throw in Season One, which is probably my favorite season.  Even with this being my 6th, or 7th time seeing these episodes, I'm still moved by the events that occur.

SPOILER ALERT:  Don't read if you plan on watching LOST and not being spoiled...



The Pilot episode (aptly named, The Pilot), begins in what is a beautiful bamboo forest, continues into a pristine beach then erupts into a chaotic, fire-engulfed plane crash where life and death are battling for the lives of the survivors.  Jack, one of my heroes, responds to the situation and takes this opportunity to show courage. (While personally, even with a medical doctorate, I'd be heading into the forest!)

As the Pilot continues, we see a multi-ethnic community coming together after a horrifying and traumatic event.  Even with all of the tension, uncertainty, and the enormous differences in their culture, these people are able to survive together.

Something that I always reflect on while teaching is this fictional situation.  As a Social Studies teacher, part of my curriculum deals with Multi-Cultural Education.  In my mind, I'm preparing my students for a LOST-esque  situation.  What if Sawyer, Sayid, Jin, Michael, etc are not slinging around ethnic slurs and arguing on the basis of their differences and began their journey on the Island in cooperation.  (A lot less drama, yes.)  But think of what they could have achieved from the beginning had they understood their differences.

More about LOST, and Teaching later...

No comments:

Post a Comment